1 Military Officer Injured in Explosion Along North-South Korea Demarcation Line
Holiday Ayo - An explosion occurred along the line separating North and South Korea, injuring a South Korean military officer who was on patrol. The South Korean Defense Ministry said the officer is currently in stable condition.
The explosion, the cause of which is not yet known, occurred early Thursday morning (November 20) on the western front line of the Military Demarcation Line (MDL), the South Korean Defense Ministry said in a statement.
The injured officer was "immediately evacuated by emergency helicopter and is in stable condition with no life-threatening injuries," the Ministry said, as reported by AFP news agency on Thursday (November 20).
The MDL lies within the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ), a four-kilometer-long buffer zone that stretches 250 kilometers (160 miles) across the Korean Peninsula.
The DMZ is known as an unintentional wildlife sanctuary and the site of countless landmines.
The explosion came after Seoul this week proposed military talks with North Korea—the first such offer in years.
In its proposal, Seoul said many of the MDL markers installed under the 1953 armistice have disappeared over time, leading to "different perceptions of the territorial boundary in certain areas by both sides."
Seoul and Pyongyang are technically still at war, as the 1953 armistice that halted the fighting was never followed by a peace treaty.
Seoul said there have been about 10 attacks by North Korean forces this year.
Earlier in 2015, two South Korean soldiers were seriously injured by landmines planted by North Korea while patrolling south of the border. One of the soldiers lost both legs and the other had his leg amputated.
Leave a comment