Former Brazilian President Begins 27-Year Prison Sentence for Coup Plot
Holiday Ayo - Brazil's Supreme Court on Tuesday (November 25th) ordered former President Jair Bolsonaro to begin serving a 27-year prison sentence for his failed coup plot. Bolsonaro remains in prison after all appeals were rejected.
Bolsonaro, who served as Brazil's president from 2019 to 2022, ended his political career imprisoned in a small room at police headquarters.
The room where Bolsonaro served his sentence was equipped with a television, mini-fridge, and air conditioning.
The 70-year-old former president was convicted last September of plotting to prevent Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva from becoming president after the 2022 elections, which included a plot to assassinate the veteran leftist.
Brazilian prosecutors said the plot failed due to a lack of support from senior military officials. Bolsonaro maintains his innocence and is a victim of political persecution.
Earlier this month, Brazil's Supreme Court rejected Bolsonaro's appeal. In a statement, as reported by AFP on Wednesday (November 26), the Supreme Court confirmed that the ruling was final.
In a statement on Tuesday (November 25), the Supreme Court also ordered a military court to decide whether Bolsonaro should be stripped of his military rank of captain.
Bolsonaro was under house arrest until Saturday (November 22) local time, when he was transferred to police headquarters in the capital, Brasilia, for damaging his ankle monitor.
He damaged the bracelet with a soldering iron, but claimed he did so out of "curiosity."
One of Brazil's Supreme Court justices, Alexandre de Moraes, said there were signs Bolsonaro was planning to flee during a prayer gathering held by his son outside his home.
Moraes cited the location of the United States Embassy near his home and Bolsonaro's close relationship with President Donald Trump, which indicated he might be attempting to flee to seek political asylum.
Bolsonaro has said he acted out of "paranoia" fueled by his drug use. He denies attempting to escape.
Brazil's Supreme Court ruled that Bolsonaro will remain in custody in the prison, a secure facility for prisoners or protected detainees where he is currently being held in Brasilia.
Five other defendants in the same case as Bolsonaro, including a military general and a former minister, also began serving their prison sentences ranging from 19 to 26 years—on Tuesday (November 25th).
Bolsonaro's former intelligence chief, Alexandre Ramagem, who was sentenced to 16 years in prison, has been declared a fugitive after recently fleeing to the US.
Leave a comment